Friday, July 31, 2009

Back To School

Lately I've been helping a Business Tec. class at Trent University where I've been a guest speaker a couple different times. The class writes up a detailed proposal based including outlines, cost and implementation based on the info I give them . It was mainly regarding my website and learning how to be more visible online. I've had a great experience with it, met some great kids and learned much more about online survival than I ever thought possible. Sofie, the Professor, suggested to the last class that if someone were inclined they could actually jump in a do a make-over of an existing website instead of writing about doing one. Well, 2 teams came forward. Last night they presented their creations and Amber, my daughter and I attended as the website they worked on was for Unique Expressions. It was fantastic! "The Boys" Brad and Remmy, designed a new website while "The Girls", Jenn and Natasha, created a blog and online newsletter for us. I think I went on computer overload at one point but the kids all assured me that they'd only be an email away if I needed any assistance. They're great. I am thrilled with all the developments and cannot wait to implement them all. Now I have to go back to school in a couple weeks to learn how to keep everything working that the teams have created for me!
This adventure started out about 1 1/2 yrs ago. I received an email asking if I could help a class out with a project regarding family run businesses. I of course said yes. Now, as a result it has been payed forward and I have a beautiful, up to date website with an online monthly newsletter, not to mention the fact that I'm now blogging :) What a hoot! Thanks Sofie, for involving the business community in your classes that not only gives your students real life scenario's but enlightens us a small business owners about what's out there to promote our livelihoods.

No comments:

Post a Comment